Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Why I Use MyMathLab and Why I'm Wavering

I began using Pearson's MyMathLab more than 5 years ago when I first started teaching an online course and I've stayed with it for all this time. I was looking for a homework solution for online courses that helped students when they got stuck. When considering the products at the time, my keys were:
  • Ease of use for me. Can I easily navigate and get done what I want?
  • Ease of use for students. I really don't want to be technical support for those who are technology challenged or inexperienced. So please make it simple.
  • Great Technical Support for me and for students. If I'm having a problem, I want a quick response and a fix. I want students to have a place to go so I won't be their technical support. 
I ended up getting so much more. MyMathLab also has:
  • Excellent, multi-modal professional development. You can read on the web, you can have a trainer come to your campus, or best of all - the excellent online, synchronous webinars taught by math professors. The others should pay attention. We rarely want a techie-kid to show us how to do things that are unfamiliar. We want a math professor to share how she teaches. Brilliant!
  • Continuous enhancement of the platform. Every year there are improvements based on requests by teachers! Every time there are improvements I've been wanting or something I didn't even think of to make the logistics of teaching easier.

I really am quite happy with the MyMathLab product. But I wonder if there could be a way to get the homework part without the textbook. In the future, I see good alternatives to textbooks: class notes, videos, an online text. These could be free for students.
Then they could pay a small fee for the homework system - say $20. I've seen some homework systems out there, but frankly they've looked clunky and difficult to use. Others are not adaptable. I want to be able to pick and choose questions or even edit the wording to match how I explain things in class.

I see these coming soon. If there's something out there, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
Inspired Math Professor Blog by Susan McCourt is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.